ECO-Link offers a reduced interest rate on qualifying loans to homeowners completing energy-efficient upgrades or installing renewable energy products. Eligible homeowners receive up to a 3% interest rate reduction on bank loans for up to seven years. The homeowner must use at least 50% of the loan proceeds for the installation of qualifying energy-efficient products; the other 50% of the loan can relate to other home improvement projects.
There are no fees assessed by the Treasurer’s office for the preparation, processing, reporting or monitoring of any ECO-Link application. The application process is simple and easy to complete.Eligible products and projects include:
- Energy Star certified (1) appliances, (2) building products, (3) heating & cooling products, or (4) water heaters. Detailed explanations of each of these general categories can be found at https://www.energystar.gov/products/certified-products. A comprehensive database of Energy Star certified products is available at https://www.energystar.gov/productfinder/
- Programmable Thermostats
- Solar Panels
- Geothermal heating/cooling systems
- Small scale wind turbines
- Other permanent home improvements that are shown through documentation to provide at least a 5% improvement in energy efficiency.
Assistance for homeowners and renters:
- Must be an Ohio resident, which for the purposes of this linked deposit program is defined as (a) the person has lived in Ohio for at least 180 days; (b) the address of the home to receive the ECO-Link interest rate reduction must be in Ohio as evidenced through the property records of the relevant county auditor; and (c) the home must be the primary residence of the applicant.
- Must own an existing home or condominium, but additional residential classifications may be eligible
- Must receive approval for a qualifying loan through a participating bank
- Must use at least 50% of the loan for the installation of energy efficient or renewable energy projects; the other 50% can relate to other home improvement projects
- Must fully complete the ECO-Link application
- Must give the Treasurer’s office a copy of the quote(s) from your contractor(s) completing the project, that details the equipment being installed as well as pricing
- Must provide the Treasurer’s office copies of receipts from all appliances or projects that are installed by the homeowner
- Estimates, quotes, and/or receipts must be submitted for the total value of the loan for which an ECO-Link interest rate reduction is sought. This includes all qualifying energy efficient improvements, as well as other home improvements performed with the proceeds of a loan that benefits from the interest rate reduction provided through participation in ECO-Link.
Low-income homeowners and renters may be automatically eligible for free energy-efficient improvements through the Home Weatherization Assistance Program (HWAP), run by the Ohio Development Services Agency. Visit the HWAP website for more information.